- Use word processing program to create a well-structured 500-750 word essay that answers ONE of the following questions.
- Use the SUBMIT ASSIGNMENT link to open the response window. Attach your response as a word processing document.
Read each question carefully. State your general points first in an introductory paragraph then, in subsequent paragraphs, support each general point with specific historical facts and illustrative examples. Incorporate materials from the textbook, the documents, the assigned videos and other assigned materials in your answer.
- How did the First World War, the Russian Revolutions, and the Paris Peace Conference transform Europe from 1914 to 1924? Consider the political, economic, and social consequences of these events.
- What caused the Second World War? How did this war transform Europe and the world? Consider the political, economic, and social consequences of these events.
- What caused the Cold War between the United States and its allies and the Soviet Union and its allies? How did this conflict shape the history of Europe between 1945 and 1990?
NOTE: Pay VERY close attention to the dates in these questions.
Note on the Essay Exams:
This is a take-home exam. You will have your text book, your readings, and your online class resources available to you as you write your essays. Use them. You need to supply specific details and evidence in support of your essays. By specific I mean specific names, events, locations, dates, as well as detailed explanations.
Please do not consult any outside sources while preparing your essays; the assigned class materials will provide you with all you need to answer these questions.
You may go over the word limit on the essays if you need more space to explain your answers. Not by too much, but having to read an extra 100-200 words won’t hurt me.
Think about your answer before your start writing. Prepare a simple outline. Make a list of the events, people, ideas, and documents you want to discuss, and make sure your final essay touches on all of them.
The documents are an excellent source for specific details. If you use them, be sure to mention them by name. You don’t need a formal citation when you reference the text book or a document, this is an analytic essay, not a research paper.