By Day 7 of Week 10
Write an 8- to 10-page interview strategy that includes the following:
- A summary of the murder case you selected
- An analysis of the offender’s personality, including any personality disorders or comorbidity that may be present
- An explanation of how aggression, attachment, and empathy factor into the offender’s personality
- An explanation of how “state” versus “trait” factors into the case
- Recommendations for the interview, including the following:
- Selection of the interviewer
- Environment of the interview
- How to manage the interviewer’s response
- Description of how to ask the interview question
the case study a choses
On 14th February 2018 a gunman operated a semi-automatic rifle in Stoneman Douglas high school. The shooter then pretended to bend down like other people at the scene. There were seventeen people murdered and seventeen injured at the scene. The suspect, Nikolas Cruz, was arrested at Coral Springs an hour later after the incident (Lombardi, 2018). It was at a time when parkland residents were demanding measures for gun control in the area. Additionally, it was recorded as the worst high school mass killing through rifle after the Columbine High School massacre that happened in 1999. When Cruz was presented to a grand jury and charged with the case, he was first placed in an isolation cell to watch his suicidal moves. However, when Cruz’s history was followed up, he had developmental disabilities, which made him dislike people. At school, he was reported as threatening other students that he would harm them.
Nikolas Cruz acquired the rifle legally by buying from a Coral Springs gun store. He had previously undergone mental health assessment, and it was clear that he had low chances of harming himself and others. When he was aligned to court, he admitted his actions and refused to go ‘no guilty’ stage. Cruz attacked a jail officer while in jail on November 18 when he was asked to stop dragging his shoes while walking in the jail’s dayroom. He was charged with a bail of two hundred thousand dollars. The court was failing to take into consideration his mental health to determine his state. Prior examination on Nikolas Cruz did not show clear results of him being mentally ill. However, most of his behaviors indicated mental health instability. He talked much about guns and posted threats on social media concerning gun violence. He was also found in possession of many dangerous weapons.
Lombardi, D. (2018). Critical Discourse Analysis of Online News Headlines: A Case of the Stoneman Douglas High School Shooting.