Law homework help. You have been hired as a management consultant by a large company to examine the business decisions of the company in regard to employee protections. The laws applicable are federal antidiscrimination laws, federal health and safety laws, and employer firing practices related to the employment-at-will doctrine.
In relation to the three questions below, write a 4–6-page paper in which you do the following:
1. Analyze, identify, and explain recent legislation, within the last 10 years, that helps to protect employees from discrimination in the workplace. Provide at least two federal legislative protections. Provide some insight when the federal legislation conflicts with the state.
2. Explain the employment-at-will (EAW) doctrine and ALL the exceptions to the doctrine. Look at the scenarios below and determine whether the decision to fire the employee is a smart one. Identify why or why not and determine all the possible exceptions per the EAW doctrine that are, might be, or could be applicable if the employee sues for wrongful termination.
- Brenda, a manager, started a blog on the company website for employee grievances. She noticed a worker was protesting that no Asian American employees had gotten a raise in 2 years at the company. The worker also criticized how much the CEO made and how the CEO was “out of touch.” Brenda reprimanded the worker. The next day, the worker talked to her fellow co-workers about forming a union. Brenda subsequently fired the worker.
- Jason, a department supervisor, requests approval to fire his secretary. Alice, his secretary, a devout Christian woman, was putting out Right-to-Life flyers in the employee break room. Alice was also taking time out to pray each day during the busiest time of the morning.
- Brian, head of Accounting, refused to sign Lori’s leave request for jury duty. Lori is a tax attorney in his department. Brian wants to fire Lori for being absent without permission during their most busy time—tax season.
- Peter has worked for the company for 1 year. He has a rare form of liver disease and works with chemicals that make his condition worse. Peter does not want to stop working, but his boss is not happy with his performance and wants to let him go.
3. Determine the federal law in regard to undocumented workers and whether they are eligible for state workers’ compensation in the United States. Advocate for or against this practice and substantiate your response with research to support your position.
4. Use the textbook and the Strayer University Library to locate at least two other quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other websites do not qualify as academic resources. The textbook for this class is a required source for this assignment.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is as follows:
- Evaluate federal law relative to workplace discrimination, employment at will, and workers’ compensation eligibility.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic/organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.