History homework help. By the due date assigned, respond to the assigned discussion questions and submit your responses to the appropriate Discussion Area. Start reviewing and responding to your classmates as early in the week as possible.
Question 1: Art of the Americas
This week, we studied a vast array of cultural objects produced in North, South, and Central America prior to 1492. Select one object from each of the following cultures: Aztec, Inca, and North (Native) American.
First, identify each object, including its name, date, medium, and location/geographical region of origin.
Then, in a minimum of 2 well-developed paragraphs, address the following questions for each object:
- What are the unique and specific visual characteristics of the object? How are these visual characteristics typical of the time and place in which the object was created?
- How does meaning or function of the object reflect the culture in which it was produced?
Question 2: Neoclassicism, Romanticism, and Realism
Beginning in the 19th century, artistic movements carry the suffix “-ism” to their name. Originally derived from Ancient Greek, “-isms” is appended to a word that then reflects a philosophical concept. In the case of art, it comes to mean the philosophy or approach to art that binds a group of artists together.
Select one representative example from each of the following “-isms” studied this week: Neoclassicism, Romanticism, and Realism. In 3 well-developed paragraphs, discuss:
- What is the philosophy or approach to art that is defined by the –ism.
- What are the specific visual characteristics of your example that are representative of the overall style of the –ism?
- How does the specific subject of your selected work reflect the philosophy of the –ism?
Be sure to explain your ideas clearly and support them by discussing specific works of art that you have read about this week, talking about how they illustrate and support your ideas.