To prepare for this section of the Course Project:
Review the Learning Resources. Reflect on the process of creating a public health advocacy plan.
- View the media “Advocacy in Creating Public Health Policy.”
- Think about the details that you may want to include within your advocacy plan.
- Consider the policy change you will request. Reflect on how the policy can bring change to your community: why it is appropriate for your particular community, and why your community might adopt the change?
- Think about the use of media advocacy within the plan.
- Decide whether you will voice your cause in a letter to the editor of a media source or an elected official in your community.
- Consider a persuasive argument for the passage of your public health policy supported with statistics and information that is unique to your community.
Week 4 Course Project: Advocacy Plan (2–3 page paper and 1–page letter)
To complete this section of your Course Project, address the following:
- Describe your public health advocacy plan including a brief overview and the steps in the plan.
- Describe the policy change that you are requesting, including details such as how the policy might bring change to your community.
- Explain why the policy change is appropriate for your particular community and why your community might adopt the change.
- Explain how you might implement media advocacy strategies within your plan.
- Write a 1–page letter to either an editor of a local media source or an elected official in your community advocating your cause. Include the contact information for the selected recipient.
- Be sure to write a persuasive argument for the passage of your public health policy supported with statistics and information that are unique to your community. Refer to the guidelines provided in the “Writing Letters to the Editor” and “Writing Letters to Elected Officials” articles.
Support your Project with in-text citations and specific references to all resources used in its preparation in APA format. You are asked to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.